Biggest Public Speaking Mistakes Speakers Should Avoid…
How come sometimes intelligent, business-savvy top executives end up boring their audiences? It is because they fail to recognize that public speaking is an acquired skill. But giving a short presentation before the right group of people may do more good for your career than spending a year behind a desk.
Here are the 10 Biggest Public Speaking Mistakes as mentioned in an article in the Toastmaster magazine written by Rob Sherman:
- Starting with a whimper.
- Attempting to imitate other speakers.
- Failing to “work” the room.
- Failing to use relaxation techniques.
- Reading a speech word for word.
- Using someone else’s stories.
- Speaking without passion.
- Ending a speech with questions and answers.
- Failing to prepare.
- Failing to recognize that speaking is an acquired skill.
For details, please click here.
The following is a video about the Biggest Mistakes Public Speakers Make!
Here is the Quick Do’s and Don’ts of Public Speaking as mentioned in the above video:
- Remember to always be yourself.
- Be polished and well-rehearsed.
- Don’t use slides with too much information
- Say something that they haven’t heard before.
Do you suffer from the fear of public speaking? Practice is the key to helping you improve in public speaking. Join a toastmaster club and learn how to speak in public.
You are welcome to visit our Kampong Ubi Toastmasters Club if you are living in Singapore.