10 Tips for Public Speaking
Public speaking is described as one of the greatest fears. However there are many ways to tackle this anxiety. You can learn to become a better speaker.
Here are the 10 public speaking tips written by Marjorie Lee North that will help you to reduce your anxiety and improve your performance.
- Nervousness Is Normal. Practice and Prepare!
- Know Your Audience. Your Speech Is About Them, Not You.
- Organize Your Material in the Most Effective Manner to Attain Your Purpose.
- Watch for Feedback and Adapt to It.
- Let Your Personality Come Through.
- Use Humor, Tell Stories, and Use Effective Language.
- Don’t Read Unless You Have to. Work from an Outline.
- Use Your Voice and Hands Effectively. Omit Nervous Gestures.
- Grab Attention at the Beginning, and Close with a Dynamic End.
- Use Audiovisual Aids Wisely.
“Good communication is never perfect, and nobody expects you to be perfect. However, putting in the requisite time to prepare will help you deliver a better speech. You may not be able to shake your nerves entirely, but you can learn to minimize them.”
Join Toastmasters and find a club that you like to practise your speeches in a friendly environments. You are welcome to visit our Kampong Ubi Toastmasters Club if you are living in Singapore.