Biggest Public Speaking Mistakes Speakers Should Avoid…
How come sometimes intelligent, business-savvy top executives end up boring their audiences? It is because they fail to recognize that public speaking is an acquired skill. But giving a short presentation before the right group of people may do more good for your career than spending a year behind a desk.
Here are the 10 Biggest Public Speaking Mistakes as mentioned in an article in the Toastmaster magazine written by Rob Sherman:
- Starting with a whimper.
- Attempting to imitate other speakers.
- Failing to “work” the room.
- Failing to use relaxation techniques.
- Reading a speech word for word.
- Using someone else’s stories.
- Speaking without passion.
- Ending a speech with questions and answers.
- Failing to prepare.
- Failing to recognize that speaking is an acquired skill.
For details, please click here.
The following is an video about the Biggest Mistakes Public Speakers Make!
Here are the Quick do’s and don’ts of public speaking as mentioned in the above video:
- Remember to always be yourself.
- Be polished and well-rehearsed.
- Don’t use slides with too much information
- Say something that they haven’t heard before.
Do you suffer from the fear of public speaking? Practice is the key to helping you improve in public speaking. Join a toastmaster club and learn how to speak in public.
You are welcome to visit our Kampong Ubi Toastmasters Club if you are living in Singapore.